The BSU is an integral complex of academic, research, production, social and cultural, administrative, auxiliary and other units. There are 16 Faculties within the university structure. BSU has 4 Educational Institutes that provide training on undergraduate and post-graduate levels of education.There are a number of Institutes that conduct retraining and advanced training of both youths and adults.
Decision to establish Belarusian State University, as a first national university of Belarus, was made on 25 February 1919 by the government of the Byelorussian SSR. However, Minsk was occupied by the Polish army at the time, and the university was actually established in 1921 in Minsk.
Vladimir Picheta, historian and Slavonic languages expert, became first rector of the BSU. The university staff was formed by professors and lecturers transferred from universities of Moscow, Kazan and Kiev. Faculty consisted of 14 professors, 49 lecturers and 10 teaching assistants. First graduates left the BSU in 1925.Since Belarus independence (1991), the BSU continues to be the major university of the country. In the early 1990s, it was a center of Belarusian national revival, with many lecturers (and even entire Faculties) choosing to switch from Russian to Belarusian as main language of teaching and research.
The maintenance of research excellence has been a very high priority and all our courses benefit from being taught in an active research environment. The scientific potential of BSU is impressive: 4 Scientific Research Institutes, 25 scientific centers, 115 research laboratories, 12 unitary enterprises, 3 research stations and a number of museums in the complex.
- Research Institute of Nuclear Problem
- Research Institute of physics-chemistry problems
- Research Institute of applied physics problems
- Research Institute of applied problems of Mathematics and informatics
University project teams take an active role in implementation of international projects. During 2008-2011 over a hundred of international projects was carried out by the BSU researchers and professors
Photos of university